April 27th 2011 Meeting Minutes

The Over the Hill Gang Volkssport Club
Minutes of the April 27, 2011 meeting
Round Table Pizza, 34410 16th Ave C., Federal Way, WA

Call to Order  Club president, Diane Wagner, called the meeting to order at 7 p.m.  Fourteen members were present.

Milestones  Thanks to club members who helped at DuPont.  We couldn’t have done it without the help.
Ken Grieser has a new pacemaker and is doing well!

Minutes from March 23, 2011 meeting Motion was made, seconded and passed to accept the minutes as submitted by the secretary.

Treasurer’s Report  Ken Grieser reported that the checkbook balance is $3,100.60.  First quarter reports are done as well as after action from DuPont events.  Thank you Ken for doing an outstanding job.

Committee Reports
Year Round Events 
 (number of participants YTD)
Auburn/White River Trail – 12
Historical – 27
Boyhood Memories – 26
Federal Way – 39
Juneau – Starts May 1 (there have been 7 inquires)
City – 14
Green River Trail – 19  (a possible route revision may be implemented to avoid sand bags on the trail)
Lake Fenwick – 2
Maple Valley – no report

Membership Marianne Bastin reported that the membership is 36 (paid, honorary & lifetime).

Sales  Alicia Maxcy has record books and club shirts for sale.

Sickness/Sympathy  Joan Grieser had none to report.

ESVA Meeting – Annual meeting will be June 11 at Lake Chelan.
Motions/business pending:
Late fee of $10 (after 30 days past due date) be amended to actual cost of after action fee rather that a flat $10 fee.
There is a question of the need for paid storage units.  (Where would items by stored upon closure of units?)
The AVA will now charge a fee to clubs for start cards.  This has been resolved by a suggestion from Wendy Bumgardner to photo copy the cards to save money.
The next regular ESVA meeting will be in Grayland on August 20.

Old Business
DuPont Events
   Thank you all for your hard work and time putting on the events.  Without your help it would not have happened.  Bill Stewart already has ideas for the trail next year.  He is wondering whether we might be interested in a 20k route by extending one of the shorter routes.  The Pine Wood Derby event started later than planned so we didn’t have the conflict we thought we might have. Ken Grieser reported that there were 238 walkers.  The expenses were $714 and $600 was taken in for a loss of $114. The school charged more than expected. The cost of the permit and the porta potties was donated.

Break for Drawing $13.00 was collected.  Joan Grieser won $6.50 and $6.50 went to the club.

New Business
AVA Convention
 – June 18-26, 2011
Election of NW Regional Director – Motion was made, seconded and passed to recommend Sam Korff for reelection to a two year term to this post.
AVA Officer candidates:
President – Heinz Johnson (currently SW RD)
VP – Becky Forsythe (past NW RD, President of clubs in OR)
Marvin Stokes (acting AVA VP since 2-18-11)
Secretary – Bonnie Johnson (currently No. Central RD)
Jessie Miller withdrew
Treasurer – Bob Morrison (past ESVA Pres)
Annette Tollette (acting AVA Treasurer)
Sue Black will serve as proxy for the TOTHG at the AVA Convention.  Motion was made, seconded and passed to give Sue Black a monetary amount of $50 for serving as TOTHG proxy.

2012 YRE  Sanctions can be submitted June 1.  There will be a new walk rating system beginning 1-1-12.  The general consensus was to leave the club sponsored YRE in place.  Two concerns were discussed.  The Auburn walk has lost money envelopes so maybe there could be another way to handle the money issue.  The Lake Fenwick YRE is a great walk but has low participation.  Perhaps the route could be reworked to avoid the long flight of stairs and the busy highway cross walk making it more walker friendly.

Club Picnic  It was agreed to have the picnic again at Lake Wilderness in Maple Valley walking the Maple Valley walk before the picnic.  Date to be decided later.

Federal Way YRE  Joan Grieser suggested that TOTHG try to set up a YRE on the Weyerhaeuser campus.  She will check on feasibility.

Auburn Event  Bob Hellers will check on possibility of a sanctioned event similar to what the club has had in past years in Auburn along the river and by the Game Farm.

Meeting was adjourned at 8 p.m.
Respectfully submitted,
Marianne Bastin, secretary

May 25 – The Over the Hill Gang Meeting 7:00 p.m.
Why not consider walking one of our club YREs when no sanctioned events are available?