The Over the Hill Gang Volkssport Club
Minutes of the October 22, 2008 meeting
Round Table Pizza, 34410 16th Ave. S., #101, Federal Way, WA
Call to Order
Meeting was called to order at 7:04 by president, Diane Wagner. Nine members attended.
Minutes of the September 24 meeting
The following correction was made. F.S. Family Wanderers will sponsor the Alki event previously sponsored by the ESVA. Motion was made, seconded and passed to accept the corrected minutes.
Treasurer’s Report – No report
YRE – No reports were available for any of the year-round-events. The Juneau event is complete for 2008. Third quarter YRE reports have been submitted by Ken Greiser.
Membership – Marianne Bastin
Paid members – 41
Honorary/Life members – 6
Total membership – 47
Nine members from 5 families will be dropped because of non-payment of dues after several reminders.
Sales – Alicia Maxcy
Event/distance books are available for sale.
Sickness/Sympathy – Joan Greiser
Larry Walsh is still suffering with a case of shingles.
ESVA Meeting Oct. 4
- Nancy Regan was elected ESVA Treasurer, effective 1/1/09. Fran Carson is our new ESVA Area Coordinator. The Webmaster resigned and ESVA is paying for technical help to maintain website while looking for his replacement. The ESVA president is seeking volunteers to serve on the website committee.
- Chuck Garrison is nominations chairperson for NW Regional Director. Contact him if you are interested in running for this position. Sam Korff and Jim Buchholz have declared their intent to run.
- Carol Walsh thanked volunteers who worked at the Western Washington Fair booth. The booth was successful thanks to all volunteers, including our club members, Bob & Betty Hellers and Alicia Maxcy.
- Three motions regarding the Northwest Pathfinder will be presented at the next ESVA meeting:
- To formalize procedures for ESVA clubs to request additional copies. (Sam Korff, NWP Chairman contemplates charging ESVA clubs for extra copies of NWP. Also he is considering putting the publication online.)
- To have NWP the primary medium for promoting Volkssporting by the ESVA.
- For ESVA to withdraw from the NWP agreement with Oregon.
- A new Washington Arts Challenge begins in 2009. A request was made for clubs to list challenges for which the events qualify. This information should be listed on YRE walker registration books and brochures.
- The ESVA 25th anniversary is set for July 11, 2009. Daffodil Valley Volkssport Association will host walk beginning at the Lakewood Elks. TOTHG will explore the possibility of providing another walk starting at the same start point.
- The ESVA sent a letter of concern to AVA regarding the situation leading to Palouse Hills Club folding. Becky Forsythe responded that AVA never intended clubs to host events using YRE. In the last 3 years 10 occurrences of this have happened and should not be condoned. Also, it is a matter of disrespect for clubs to sponsor group walks whenever another club has a sanctioned event.
- Daffodil Valley Volkssport Association has been moved to the South Sound Area, Evergreen Wanderers has been moved to the West Central South Area.
- Award report: The Regional Conference was a huge success. Participants were thanked for attending. Some sweatshirts, T-shirts, and patches are still available. Publicity awards were presented to Moss Back club in Eugene and Evergreen Wanderers in Tacoma.
Girl Scout walk in Dupont – Walk was a success thanks to the Griesers and their committee. Approximately 20 scouts attended. This is probably the last time TOTHG will provide the event due to Girl Scout Council procedure changes.
Christmas Party – The party is planned for December 14th at Vinces’s Italian Restaurant, 32411 Pacific Hwy. S., Federal Way. Non perishable food and money will be accepted for the Federal Way Food Bank.
Storage Unit – The cost has increased on the present storage unit. Motion was made, seconded and passed to move club supplies to a new storage unit that Ken Grieser has found in Federal Way that is more reasonable.
Future walks – Motion was made, seconded and passed to have a walk at the 25th Anniversary of ESVA, July 11, 2009, starting at the Lakewood Elks. Besides Dupont and NW Trek other ideas for events are welcome.
November meeting – Motion was made, seconded and passed to change TOTHG November meeting date to Wednesday, November 19, 7 pm (one week early because of Thanksgiving).
Adjournment – Meeting was adjourned at 8:40 p.m.
Marianne Bastin, secretary
Dates to remember
Nov. 15 – Eagle Fest by Mount Cheam, British Columbia (next to last event)
19 – Club meeting 7 p.m.