The Over the Hill Gang Volkssport Club
Minutes of the January 24, 2018 meeting
Round table Pizza, 34410 – 15th Ave Ct., Federal Way, WA, 6:30 p.m.
Call to Order Meeting was called to order by president, Diane Wagner, at 6:30 p.m.
Nine members and 1 guest were present.
Correspondence Thank you to Carolyn Warhol for sending information about when the South Sound Walkers Meetup Group will be participating in our events. It not only gives us the opportunity to have our walk boxes filled, but a chance to walk with people from another club. Information was also provided for the FS Family Wanderers group from Seattle.
An e-mail was received from former member, William Stewart, who said to tell everyone “hello and Merry Christmas”.
Treasurer’s Report Ken Grieser gave the report.
Milestones Carolyn Warhol – 2,100 events, 21,000k
John Warhol – 1,700 events
Minutes for the Dec. 13 meeting (Christmas Party) Motion was made, seconded and passed to accept minutes as submitted by secretary.
Committee reports Thank you to all points of contact for our year round/seasonal events and other committee chairs. The saying volunteers make it happen is true, without you this would not happen. Thank you.
Year round/seasonal events (number of participants year-to-date)
Auburn – 5
DuPont – City/Town – 0
Boyhood Memories/Sequalitchew Creek – 13
Federal Way – 3
Juneau – closed until May 1
Kent – Green River Trail – 3
Town Walk – 23
Lake Fenwick – closed until April 1
Ketchikan – closed until May 1
Maple Valley – approximately 24 (A possible new section or option with a restroom is being explored for this walk)
Membership (Marianne Bastin) 25
Sickness/Sympathy (Joan Grieser) No cards sent.
AVA No report yet from our Regional Director about the meeting held recently in Florida.
- The new stamps are out. Advantage is that you don’t have to press the stamps so hard.
- The Big Give is March 22, 2018.
- WA is leading the way with a guide for good walk directions and good maps. Nothing makes you appreciate our high standards more than going to another area where directions are not the best and no maps are available. We have set the bar high.
- 401K (kilometers) is up and running as of Jan. 1. This is a good way to get used to going online to record accomplishments.
- Kudos to the Daffodil Club for hosting an OptOut walk (better to walk outside than inside the malls). They had REI as a co-host and several pictures are in the new Checkpoint. That is good publicity for their club and the Northwest region.
- The next meeting is the annual meeting on April 28 in Battle Ground.
- ESA is hosting the NW Regional Conference in Port Angeles July 13-15. There are 5 walks, a bike and swim and YREs are also available in the area.
Old Business No meeting was held in November. The Christmas party was held in December. Report on our total donation amount to the Puyallup Food Bank will be next month.
Break for Drawing $10.00 was collected. Debbie Connell won $5.00 and $5.00 went to the club.
- Diane will be contacting Amy at the City of DuPont checking on the location of Hudson Bay Days in August. There has been talk of extending the number of days for the festival.
- A Volkssport cruise to AK is planned for July 28 to August 4. The group will be using our Juneau and Ketchikan routes. There will also be walks in Skagway and Victoria with BC walkers. It will be on a new Norwegian cruise ship. Nancy Wittenberg, AVA Vice President, is in charge of this trip.
- A concern was brought forward that driving to the Over the Hill Gang meeting in the evening, especially when the weather is rainy and its dark is difficult for members who come from a distance. Several options were discussed. It was decided that Diane will poll all members via e-mail and see what the feelings are for a time change. Results will be made know before the February meeting.
Meeting was adjourned at 7:10 p.m.
Feb 28 – 12:45 p.m. next Over the Hill Gang meeting at Round Table Pizza
(New meeting time is a result of the wishes of members who responded to the poll mentioned above.)
Marianne Bastin, secretary